Subject: Re: Flyer Audio format
From: Chris Bess <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 1996 23:10:46 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Greetings all,
> 
> We want to record some dialog at a local sound studio for a commercial, and
> I'd like to take it back as a digital file rather than tape. 

Thats a good idea, but impractical.  For really good quality, record 
your audio to video tape.  From what I understand this is nearly CD 
quality (at least alot better than audio cassette)and its easy to spool 
in to the flyer.
From [email-masked] Sun Jan  7 00:24:42 EST 1996
To: [email-masked]
From: Justin Barrett <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Flyer Audio format
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 96 05:20:31 -0800 (PST)
content-length: 1037
Status: RO

At 11:17 PM 1/6/96 -0500, Chris Bess wrote:

>> We want to record some dialog at a local sound studio for a commercial, and
>> I'd like to take it back as a digital file rather than tape. 

>Thats a good idea, but impractical.  For really good quality, record 
>your audio to video tape.  From what I understand this is nearly CD 
>quality (at least alot better than audio cassette)and its easy to spool 
>in to the flyer.

Make sure to record on the Hi-Fi tracks.  For a recent production we did, we
recorded all the voice-overs to video, but just on the normal audio tracks.
When we went in for editing, there was a ton of background noise.
Consequently, the tracks had to be filtered, and everything came out
muddy-sounding.  What a lesson!

I would think that recording to a good chrome or metal audio cassette would
be just as good.  I record personal stuff onto chrome tapes all the time,
and it comes out sounding very crisp, with very little noise.

Just my .02

          ---<   Justin Barrett - Free Spirit Productions   >---